I have been living the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle for awhile now. Actually, full disclosure: this is my second time! During my first go round, before pregnancy #4, I wasn’t really thinking of changing my food lifestyle permanently. Didn’t really commit to quitting sugar for good (this was pre-THM sweeteners, which has changed so much!).
This time around, I am wanting to fully change the things I put in my body. As I turn, ahem, 30 this year it is beginning to get difficult to keep up with my 3 boys, and with the oldest only being 6, well that’s just not sustainable.
So, here are the 10 things I learned after 3 months on THM:
- Switch fuels! I lost more weight at one time when I added oatmeal to my breakfast, instead of my usual eggs.
- Life change. If you view this as a diet, you are less likely to give yourself grace. You are changing a lifetime of habits and that’s going to take awhile.
- GRACE! It’s easy to compare your progress, or lack there of, with someone else. Remember 2 things while moving through your journey: Everyone’s body works and respond’s differently, and, your starting point may be someone else’s goal.
- Listen to your body. If you’re ravenously hungry, don’t eat everything in sight, just load up on those life-giving fats. If you know your son has a soccer game and you have to keep your other kids off the field for a whole hour, you might want to have some carbs for breakfast to keep that super-mom energy up!
- Drink your GGMS! Or Shrinker. Or even mix it up with plain ol’ water! The liquid you take in keeps you from snacking, and keeps your water weight down.
- Don’t run out of sweetener! You will inevitably turn to the sugar you kept for “emergencies.”
- Don’t go down the cookie aisle. Just don’t.
- Pre-planning makes a big difference. Even if it’s just dinner. Life takes over and we all get stressed. Usually that means off-plan meals in our house. But, that’s okay, give yourself some grace and start over in a few hours!
- Weekends are hard! RIGHT?! I tend to do well during the week, but then BAM! it’s Saturday! Well, Friday night…that’s where the planning becomes very handy.
- 000 yogurts are great for snacks on the go, but Fage 0% is better for you. It has more protein and less carbs than 000. Take a little sweetener, peanut butter (or powder), and some chopped dark chocolate and have yourself a little probiotic filled party!
What are the other things I missed that you learned after a few months doing Trim Healthy Mama? What advice would you give to others just beginning?